Family/Whānau & Friends as Carers
Often people caring for someone in their home find themselves wanting to know more about how to care for their loved one. These interactive sessions have been designed to help build knowledge.
Studies have also shown evidence that where the caregiver is supported in their role, the patient, the caregiver and their families/whānau experience better outcomes than when they have little or limited support.
Our goal in this programme is to help support our patient’s caregivers (family/whānau and friends). Caregivers will gain confidence from the learning on the programme to care for their loved one.
It is also an opportunity to connect with others who are currently sharing similar challenges and experiences, and establishing networks of support.
This programme runs over six consecutive weeks for two hours per session. Topics include:
- Hospice and palliative care services – An introduction to the team at Lake Taupō Hospice as well as an overview of the services available.
- Circle of Care – Developing the tools to manage the stresses of caring for a loved one. This includes self massage therapy, relaxation, music and the wider circle and personal support networks.
- Home Nursing Tips – Sharing home nursing tips to enable family/whānau and friends to care for their loved one at home.
- Riding the Emotional Roller Coaster – You will be able to discuss your main concerns as well as how to access resources available. Other topics explored include understanding loss and grief, having difficult conversations, carer fatigue and developing coping skills.
- Practical/Family Matters – Guest speakers will cover a range of topics including benefits, allowances and entitlements, legal considerations and funeral planning.
- Considering Digital Legacy – Involves and informal discussion around things to think about if your loved one has a digital profile and what happens to it after they have died
Any family/whānau or friends involved in the care of a patient under the care of Lake Taupō Hospice are welcome to join the programme at any time. You may choose to attend the whole programme or just come along to the sessions that interest you. If you would like to know more about this programme please contact Josie or Janine on 07 3774252 Please click here for the 2019 dates